The Sumas Rodeo is Our March Talk

Sumas Rodeo in the 1920s and 1930s

sumas20 smaller

Two four-horse chariot teams race around the track at the Sumas Rodeo in the late 1920s.

Come and join us for a fun and interesting talk by local Sumas historian Deb Morgan. She is presenting a great program on the history of the Sumas Rodeo that took place from the mid-1920s into the 1930s. The Sumas event was on the list of the International tours during the heyday of the rodeo.
The big-name rodeo stars challenged each other and the half-wild animals that they at¬tempted to ride, sometimes being tossed and trampled. Some of these men were stunt men or famous movie stars in the many western movies of the 30s and 40s, and some of them were crippled forever. Even the meanest horses and bulls had names and reputations for breaking the riders. This presentation includes many photos of this event first seen at her first presentation last year.

Our Speaker:

Deb Morgan is a native of Sumas and has traveled extensively, always returning to her home town. Deb works at the Sumas Library, and in her spare time, runs a blog on the history of the Nooksack Valley area, with great stories and pictures. Deb has also begun a series of recorded oral history presentations at the Senior Center in Sumas.

When:              Thursday, March 10, 2016, 7:30 p.m.
Where:             Whatcom Museum Rotunda Room • 121 Prospect St. • Free

And of course, the best punch and cookies around.


November 2015 Talk: Music Club Celebrates 100 years

Thursday, November12, 2015, 7:30 p.m.

Whatcom Museum Rotunda Room • 121 Prospect St. • Free

Bellingham Music Club: Sharing Music for 100 Years

You couldn’t have lived in Bellingham or Whatcom County for that matter, without noticing that we have a lot of beautiful music being made here. The Whatcom Chorale, Kulshan Chorus, Whatcom Symphony Orchestra and many programs at WWU provide stirring programs. Musical theater and other musical arts abound. But music in our county wouldn’t be where it is today without its historical beginnings.

The Bellingham Music Club’s 2015-2016 season marks its 100th year of nourishing musical and cultural life of Bellingham and the Northwest. The largest music club in Washington, the BMC also ranks among the oldest of its kind in the nation. The Whatcom County Historical Society November’s history talk is being presented by BMC President, Kristin Van Schelt, Award Committee Chair, Gail Haines, and Ms Larabee at Lairmont ManorProgram Chair, Isabelle Cormier.

 Women Had a Vision

The Bellingham Women’s Music Club was born on February 22, 1916, at Lairmont Manor, the stately residence of Mrs. C.X. Larrabee. The new club soon became the heart of Bellingham’s musical life. Members would audition for the privilege of performing for invited audiences, while bestowing occasional awards on exceptional student musicians at Western Normal School. Eventually though the parlor piano proved no match for the movie palaces, radios, record-players and TV of a media-happy culture, and performances had to be outsourced.

 The Club was founded on the belief that making live music together nourishes the soul, uniting family, friends, and community. Over the years, that belief has driven the metamorphosis from an exclusive sorority of musically gifted socialites into a wide-open organization, welcoming all who cherish dedication to serious music by local artists – especially our youth – and recognize it with performance opportunities and student competitions.

BMC TodayBhm Music Club 100th meme

Today, men and women belong to the club, fulfilling the vision of the original club: to bring quality music and encourage young performers in their musical pursuits.

 In addition to BMC history milestones, November 12 talk will present an overview of BMC philanthropic endeavors and current Centennial Season.

 Join Us

Social time begins just before 7:00 PM in the Rotunda Room. Cookies and our famous punch is there for enjoyment. Books, memberships and our journals are on sale.

Great Big Garage Sale

Support the Whatcom County Historical Society & Come join us for our Annual Garage Sale

T.G. Richards & Co built a “brick house” for the Frazer River Gold Rush in 1858. We’re having a gold rush of sorts with great items for sale. All sales go to support the courthouse restoration and maintenance, in particular the purchase of a wheelchair lift in the back. Once that is installed, the building can be opened to the public on a regular basis.

Why should you care? This is the first and oldest brick building in the state of Washington. History was made here.


When: Saturday and Sunday Sept 29th & 30th

Where: 1308 E Street

Time: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM