The oldest brick building in the state of Washington is the T.G. Richards building, located in Bellingham and known locally as the Whatcom Territorial Courthouse. It was built in 1858 for the Fraser River Gold Rush in Canada. Today, its history is being preserved by the Whatcom Historical Society.
On August 29th, E Street in downtown Bellingham will be closed to traffic and open from 11:00 to 4:30ish to historic displays and interpreters, 19th century music (Camp 2 players), furniture maker, and society books and preservation campaigns. The Whatcom Maritime Association and the Homeport Learning Centery along with their longboat Plume will present maritime activities. Families can pan for “gold” , do early store and writing activities and take history tours of Old Town at noon and 2:00 with Richard Vanderway.
Also at noon, Garry Schalliol, Director, Outreach Services of Washington State Historical Society will talk about the capital grant the old courthouse has received to continue the restoration work on it.
To help support the preservation of the courthouse, a painting and prints of Ann Parry (the bark that brought the bricks for the courthouse) by maritime artist Steve Mayo and bricks for the proposed walk way around the building will be on sale.
The Pickett House, another important historic site from the mid-1850s, will join in the historic festivities.
Come and join in the fun. It’s free!